http://neonpublicrelations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Screen-Shot-2016-11-02-at-11.53.11-AM2.png 407 727 neonpr1981 http://neonpublicrelations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Logo-White-Only-4.png neonpr19812016-11-03 15:59:032016-11-03 16:01:00Why You Shouldn't Reach Out Directly to a Source with a Publicist if You're a Journalist
- We know they’re easily accessible, that’s why they hired us. Their workload became so grandiose, that they need someone to manage/liaise journalists’ queries and manage marketing campaigns. If we send out a press release, please mind the section that says “Media Contact”, even if you have the client’s direct info…Unless you attend their Thanksgiving dinner every year, we can assure you, we work more closely with the client than you.
- We get paid to do a job, and so do you, let’s work together. Journalism and Public Relations are like two sides of the same proverbial coin. Journalists need sources (our clients) to strengthen the credibility of their stories, while Publicists need press (journalists) to spread the gospel of their clients. Instead of working against one another, why not combine our efforts to streamline our goals and solidify a seamless working experience.
- You’re wasting your time trying to get them to say something they shouldn’t. If they’ve been media trained by us, they won’t. Try your luck with us instead. We can reason for what makes a good story, we know all the ‘stuff’ to highlight, but also recognize sensationalism from a mile away. They pay us to manage the BS. Please, allow us.
- We’re big talkers in a small world. Publicists talk. We’re practically professional story tellers, and bypassing us in favor of contacting our clients directly is a hot story in the PR World, so just like difficult publicists can be black-labeled in a newsroom… samesies. Respecting professional boundaries is important in any industry, even more-so in ours.
- It’ll Take Way Longer For Them To Get Back To You. Imagine during a crisis, or story with a pulse, the last thing on the client’s mind is clearing up hearsay, because they’re likely busy managing the issue or making magic happen. Our job is to disseminate the facts, and to do it immediately. BOOM.