We asked some of our social media gurus how they perfect their Insta-Image.
On the surface, Instagram is a fairly simple media channel that allows businesses and individuals to connect with various demographics through enticing visuals. However, Instagram isn’t just another form of advertising for a business, it is a way to tell a story and develop a relationship. The difference between an account with a large, active following and a majorly unnoticed account can come down to very simple elements. We’ve honed in on a few key factors that can drastically impact your social media channels, as well as shared what we think has made the difference in our personal social media accounts!
- Photo Quality: Improvements in cell phone technology means that professional-looking photos are now in the palms of our hands, and more accessible than ever before. Taking the time to learn about different settings on your phone can unlock even more methods to get that perfect shot. Still looking to fix those minor details? We use the photo editing apps VSCO and Snapseed to give us an arsenal of advanced editing settings. Paying attention to image sharpness and light exposure can give pictures the added touch they may need. These apps also provide more options for filters to utilize. Focusing on color schemes or specific colors can add that story-telling feel that goes with the change in seasons.
Our Pick: #withGalaxy or #shotoniphone
We’re not going to get into the politics of Samsung vs Apple, especially with both companies constantly improving their photo shooting quality. However, if you’re looking for a little photography motivation, checking out these hashtags are sure to inspire you to embrace the device in your pockets.
- Image Diversity: As much as everyone enjoys a well-angled selfie, it’s important to include a variety of styles of picture. Whether they are pictures with friends, family, or even changing up your poses, the variety of images can make your profile appear more genuine and relatable. Businesses are able to showcase more of what they have to offer with a variance in imagery. Embrace more than just what’s on the surface and expand your arsenal of imagery to show the big picture!
Our Pick: @Teslamotors
Yes, the car company. While it would be easy for Tesla to succumb to images of just their cars (that is what they sell after all), their Instagram is extremely diverse. A quick glance at their grid and there are pictures of cars at different angles, videos of its performance, a variety of locations and scenery. There are focuses on specific details in the cars, as well as information on the company as a whole.
- Captivating Caption: An emoji filled caption may occasionally fit the bill, but “no caption needed” typically alludes to the necessity of a caption. We get it! Coming up with a caption can be the hardest part of creating a social media post! Captions are a great way to create a voice for your social media page. Whether your captions include sassy remarks, “punny” play on words, or genuine commentary, embrace the dialect that feels comfortable for you.
Our Pick: @Nike
The primary function of Nike is as a retail business selling footwear, apparel and equipment. Their social media page, however, focuses on connecting with athletes on a personal level rather than just marketing their clothing. Instead, Nike sells their support of professionals. As a business their captions are motivational and relatable, just as they intend their products to be.
- Hashtags: Use them! Not only are they a sly way to be comedic, they are also a great way to engage in related networks and encourage a bigger following. Businesses can create key hashtags for consumers to reuse, tying together business and product, while individuals can find other followers with shared interests based on those hashtags.
Our Pick: @airbnb
Air BnB utilizes the hashtage #AirbnbExperiences for a majority of their posts. While their account only has about 2,000 pictures posted, there are over 20k posts that share that hashtag! This creates a massive network of both people who have utilized the hashtag, but also places that Airbnb are mentioned as a business!
- Activity: Instagram was designed to be a social networking site, so be social! In truth, it is fun to look back and appreciate the memories that come paired up with each photo. However, it’s important to put effort in if you expect to get appreciation in return. Following other accounts with mutual followers or similar styled pictures are an easy way to get followers in response.
- Developing an Aesthetic: Social media is one of the primary methods consumers choose what businesses to purchase from. Because of this increase in activity, your Instagram profile is now as important as your website homepage. Take inspiration from some of your favorite accounts and focus on what aesthetic represents you and your brand. A great way to identify the vibe you’re trying to create is with a mood board. Pinterest is a great tool for expanding your mood board. Colors, textures, patterns, and even quotes can help you establish the aesthetic you want to create. We utilize apps like Planoly and UNUM to preplan how we want our Instagram grids to look, and then pre-schedule different posts with Hootsuite when we get our look JUST RIGHT!
Both of these accounts have created a profile page that is uniquely them. Their aesthetics are not only appealing to the eye, they are noteworthy and somewhat unforgettable. Not to mention how well planned out every post has to be in order to have such a cohesive appearance.
At NEON PR, we aren’t just visual artists for our clients, we are infinite re-creators of our own social media identities. Any artist would be hesitant to share all their tricks and talents, but just this once we are willing to share some of our secrets. In essence, we put our work into practice daily with our own accounts. We focus on the little details without overlooking the big picture. Whether it is with a client’s page or our own feed, we know that our social media appearance is just another way of presenting ourselves to the world, and we want to make sure we put our best posts forward.